My son, Kai, passed away on August 14, 2011. He had a neuromuscular progressive disease. Kai was two years old. In memory of him I have decided to grow a garden. At the moment I live in an apartment so my patio will have to do for now. I live in the northwest so I am trying to use mostely plants up to zone 5 so I can keep them outside all year. My goal is to grow enough flowers to take to his grave at least once a week. I am trying to focus on plants with different blooming times throughout the year to accomplish my goal. I do not know a lot about gardening so I went and purchased some books on the subject and will be learning as I go. Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thank you for reading!



Friday, August 26, 2011

Starting out....


The plant on the stand in the corner is Ivory Prince Lenten Rose. It will have pink buds that turn into white flowers. It looked pretty drab when I bought it but it was on clearance and hopefully I can bring it back. It will bloom in early spring.
The plant in the large tan pot is Hosta "Blue Angel" Plantain Lily. Unfortunately I missed the bloom time which runs from July - August but I am sure it will look beautiful next year. I love the large leaves!
I planted lobelia "riviera sky blue", an annual, in the window sill planter.
Lavender and hen & chicks where planted in the round white planter. I just love the smell of lavender and hopefully it will fill in nicely.
At the bottom of the picture are Kai's footprints we placed in a garden stone.

On this side I planted Begonia with yellow/Green leafs. The leaves have jagged edges. It have one yellow flower on it which is surprising because they bloom spring-summer.
In the barrel I planted some Crocosmia "Carmine brilliant" with creeping myrtle around the edges. I just love this combo and I am getting tons of blooms from the Crocosmia.
The square planter has some of the Crocosmia in the back with Little Grapette Dwarf Daylily filled in. The daylily has long grass like leaves. This daylily probably won't bloom until next summer.
At the bottom of this picture is Kai's handprints we placed in another garden stone.

This one is Cyclamen persicum and will remain inside. This was donated to the hospital. I put it on Kai's bed for him to look at. It was very down and out when we received it but over the last couple of weeks it has just started blooming like crazy. Hopefully it will continue to do well over the winter. This plant blooms through winter and goes dormant during the summer. The leaves are heart shaped.

I picked these birds up from the local swap meet. I thought they would be a nice addition. Kai loved birds...

No comments:

Post a Comment