My son, Kai, passed away on August 14, 2011. He had a neuromuscular progressive disease. Kai was two years old. In memory of him I have decided to grow a garden. At the moment I live in an apartment so my patio will have to do for now. I live in the northwest so I am trying to use mostely plants up to zone 5 so I can keep them outside all year. My goal is to grow enough flowers to take to his grave at least once a week. I am trying to focus on plants with different blooming times throughout the year to accomplish my goal. I do not know a lot about gardening so I went and purchased some books on the subject and will be learning as I go. Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thank you for reading!



Sunday, August 28, 2011

Week 1


Cocrosmia

Begonia with new bud!

Cyclamen with heart shaped leaves
 It has been a great week for Kai's garden! The Crocosmia has tons of new buds everywhere! The Begonia has one new bud I just noticed this morning and of course the Cyclamen is doing great as well.

We are having trouble with the Lobelia. It doesn't look very good. I don't think its going to make it but we will see. I had to work quickly to save the Lenten Rose this week too. The soil was so soggy. I usually put gravel or rocks at the bottom of all the plants and use Miracle Grow potting soil on top. Last weekend I ran out of gravel and in my rush to get Kai's garden started I just put the potting soil in alone. I think that was a mistake. So I let the Lenten Rose sit in sun to try and dry it out and replanted it with gravel at the bottom. It already looks much better and has much dryer soil. I was worried the roots were going to rot but I think it will be fine.

I planted a few herbs and a Wisteria plant this week. I just love Wisteria and my Uncle gave me some seeds a couple years ago so I planted them in the baby blue pot. I have no idea which kind of Wisteria it will be or how it will do in a pot but we will see. I also planted some herbs. I plan to keep and use them inside over the winter. Then next summer I can put them out in the garden and get some great aromas going. I started Lavender, Cilantro, Oregano, Basil and Parsley.

2 comments:

  1. Jess- the garden looks beautiful! I hope I'm able to come up and see it before it snows! Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww thanks! I hope so too... You guys will have to make the trip over some time in the next couple months. We would love to have you!

    ReplyDelete