My son, Kai, passed away on August 14, 2011. He had a neuromuscular progressive disease. Kai was two years old. In memory of him I have decided to grow a garden. At the moment I live in an apartment so my patio will have to do for now. I live in the northwest so I am trying to use mostely plants up to zone 5 so I can keep them outside all year. My goal is to grow enough flowers to take to his grave at least once a week. I am trying to focus on plants with different blooming times throughout the year to accomplish my goal. I do not know a lot about gardening so I went and purchased some books on the subject and will be learning as I go. Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thank you for reading!



Monday, September 5, 2011

Week 2: First bundle of flowers cut for Kai


This week was a great week for Kai's Garden. I added a few new plants and the other plants are growing very well.

I added a Hydrangea (hydrangea macrophylla-hortensia). This plant has the most beautiful mounded blue blossoms!

We also added a Calla Lily with deep purple flowers. This one should be great for clipping flowers because you just pull them from the bulb and they grow right back.

We now have two rose bushes too. A victory rose with yellow roses that smell great and a mini rose with deep red roses. I think these will also be great for clipping.

The Plantain Lily has some new growth. I just can't wait to see this one next summer and the crocosmia and begonia are both doing great as well. The lobelia is still struggling. I am not sure how much longer this one will stick around in the garden...

I was able to clip a bouquet for Kai this weekend too. It was great to be able to take him flowers from his own garden!

No comments:

Post a Comment